For many people, ordering and microwaving takeout is part of their daily routine. After all, nothing is more convenient than eating a hot, ready-made meal after a long day of work.
However, not all to-go containers are microwave-safe, and this might leave you wondering if you can microwave napkins. I looked into it, and here is what I found!
Can You Microwave Napkins?
Both disposable and cloth napkins are perfectly safe to use in the microwave. Typically, disposable and cloth napkins are placed on top of shallow dishes to prevent food from sputtering or getting directly heated. However, when microwaved for too long, napkins can burn. As a precaution, always use low heat and do not let the napkins touch your food.
In case you are interested in learning more about microwaving different types of napkins and if you can microwave food with napkins, keep reading!
Can You Microwave Cloth Napkins?
Cloth napkins are microwave-safe. Plus, cloth napkins are highly recommended when reheating food because cloth napkins prevent the food from receiving direct heat.
Unlike disposable napkins, cloth napkins can make contact with your food because the cloth napkin will neither melt nor stick to your food.
Additionally, cloth napkins can be used to cover foods like tomato-based pasta sauces that are prone to spilling or sputtering when microwaved
Can You Microwave Brown Napkins?
Brown napkins are perfectly safe to use in the microwave. However, you have to make sure that the brown napkins do not touch the food.
When the food gets hot during the cooking or reheating process, the brown napkin can melt and stick to the food. This is why pairing brown napkins with shallow containers are best.
Nonetheless, you should never expose brown napkins to high heat for too long. When the brown napkins’ moisture dries out, the brown napkin can catch fire.
Can You Microwave Paper Napkins?
You can microwave paper napkins with no immediate risk. Since paper napkins contain a small amount of moisture, microwaves are unlikely to burn the paper napkins at once.
However, overheating can dry out the paper napkins, and you will notice that the edges of the paper napkins will begin to curl as they get scorched.
Leave the paper napkins in the microwave for too long and the paper napkins are bound to start a fire, which can damage your microwave and your food.
Can You Microwave Food On a Paper Towel?
Microwaving food on a paper towel is strongly discouraged because paper towels can melt and stick to your food once your food becomes hot.
Consequently, it is best to always use a shallow container if you intend to use paper towels as a lid because this reduces the chances of the paper towels touching your food.
Is It OK To Put Paper Towels In The Microwave?
It is okay to put paper towels in the microwave as long as you use the paper towels correctly. Generally, paper towels that are placed flat on a dish will not dry out or burn immediately.
In contrast, paper towels that are scrunched up or folded, whether in whole or in part, can catch fire immediately because the heat builds up in folded places.
Is It Safe To Microwave Tissue?
Tissue papers should not be microwaved because tissue papers can easily catch fire. While tissue papers do contain moisture, most tissue papers are extremely thin.
Consequently, exploding tissue papers in the microwave at low heat could instantly cause a fire.
What Happens If You Microwave A Paper Towel?
If you microwave a paper towel flat on the glass tray or a shallow dish, the paper towel could warm up a little, but nothing significant will happen.
Given that you use low heat and short bursts of 30-60 seconds, paper towels usually do fine inside a microwave.
Nonetheless, paper towels that are folded, scrunched up, or severely wrinkled can instantly burn up along with paper towels that are stocked by the dozen.
What Happens If You Microwave Tissues?
Tissues that are designed for kitchen use are usually durable and thick. Consequently, these kinds of tissues can be safely used inside the microwave.
Meanwhile, face tissues and similar varieties have a low GSM and are too thin. When microwaved, these kinds of tissues can combust immediately.
Can You Microwave Pizza Rolls On A Paper Towel?
It is not recommended that you microwave pizza rolls on a paper towel because the paper towel can melt and infuse with the pizza rolls.
For your safety, you should always microwave pizza rolls on a microwave-safe dish. You can also put a paper towel on top of the pizza rolls to contain any splattering that might happen.
Does A Napkin Burn In The Microwave?
When left in the microwave for long periods, especially on high heat, napkins can also catch fire. Whether cloth or disposable, make sure to microwave napkins for short periods only.
In case you need to use a napkin in the microwave for several minutes, you have the option of dampening the napkin first. This way, the microwaves have more moisture to absorb.
Can You Microwave A Wet Paper Towel?
A lot of people use wet paper towels when microwaving their food because a wet paper towel can aid in the even and thorough reheating of food.
Additionally, a wet paper towel can last in the microwave longer than a dry one since the paper towel can absorb more microwaves.
Can You Microwave Pizza On A Paper Towel?
You should not microwave pizza on a paper towel. While the paper towel is unlikely to catch fire, the heated pizza can melt parts of the paper towel.
Can You Microwave Corn In A Paper Towel?
You can microwave corn in a paper towel only if the paper towel is damp. Since the paper towel has increased moisture, the paper towel is less likely to melt and stick to the corn.
Read our other articles to learn if you can microwave bacon, if you can microwave broccoli, and if you can microwave black beans.
When used correctly, napkins can be an indispensable tool in microwaving food. Apart from keeping your microwave clean, napkins can also promote better heating for your food.
To be safe, make sure that you do not stack napkins together, especially if the napkins are disposable. Additionally, avoid folding the napkins as this can cause the napkin to burn.